Puppy Pre School
For puppies 8-18 weeks
A specially designed course for puppies during their rapid learning stage of three to sixteen weeks of age, puppies can attend once they have received their first vaccination at 8 weeks of age, but must be no older than 16 weeks of age.
Our puppy pre-school course has been developed with an emphasis on preventing common behaviour problems, such as mouthing or play biting and toilet training.
The 5-week course will help you to understand your puppy’s acceptable and unacceptable behaviour, learn how to manage their behaviour to ensure your puppy integrates smoothly into your family and lifestyle.
Each week focuses on different teaching and training skills and provides plenty of opportunity for puppies to engage with each other in appropriate play.
Puppy Pre School Course Information and Times
We strongly believe in the benefits of early socialisation, so are happy for puppies to join only having had their first vaccination.
Course Dates: -
Thursday: 6.00pm – 7.00pm 6th September 13th October 15th November
Tuesday: 6.00pm – 7.00pm 18th September 23rd October
Five-week course - £85.00
This course includes 4 FREE sessions at Puppy Play Group worth £28.00
Puppy Play Group
For ALL puppies 8 weeks of age up to and including 18 weeks of age.
The aim and focus are positive and appropriate socialisation with other puppies in a controlled environment.
Puppy Play Group Information and Times
Sessions are held every Saturday at 11:30am
£7.00 per session
Booking essential due to demand
For puppies 16 weeks – 9 months
This course has been especially designed for older puppies & junior dogs focusing on the training challenges presented as our puppies reach and go through adolescence.
- Using rewards effectively
- How dogs learn
- Understanding the 4 D's
- Training aids and equipment
- Gaining your dogs attention
- Greeting people and dogs: what is and isn't acceptable
- Loose lead walking: starting on the right paw
- Coming when called
- Sit, down and stand
- Stay and wait
- The importance of play
- Travelling with your dog
- Canine manners - doorways and taking treats politely
- Training environment
Puppy School Information and Times
Thursday: 7.00pm – 8.00pm 6th September 11th October 15th November
Tuesday: 7.00pm – 8.00pm 18th September 23rd October
Five-week course - £55.00
This course includes a copy of Carrie's book, The Well Mannered Dog, worth £15
Any puppy who has not attended our Puppy Pre-School must undertake a one to one session prior to joining our Puppy School course. This ensures all puppies commence at a similar level and suitability for the course.
For all SOCIABLE dogs
These individual sessions focus on teaching the important Life Skills of Self Control, Having Good Manners and Being Calm in specific situations and environments;
- Puppies at the Park - gain the confidence to let your puppy off lead, for puppies 18 weeks and younger
- Clicker Training - teaching basic skills and complex tasks
- Scent Games - Fun exercises using your dogs amazing sense of smell
- Training Games - Training made fun through games and play
- Outdoor Life Skills - For older puppies & dogs who have completed one to one or Puppy School, focusing on walking on a loose lead & coming when called
- Playtime at the Park - for older puppies & dogs, focusing on appropriate engagement
- Fun Agility - suitable for dogs of all shapes and sizes, the emphasis is on fun
Life Skills Information and Times
This individual sessions focus on teaching important life skills – such as self-control, being calm, and having good manners – this course is to complement our Puppy Pre-& Puppy School courses
- Puppies at the Park* Saturday 9:30am - 10:30am 8th Sept 22nd Sept
- Clicker Training Monday 6.00pm - 7.00pm 17th Sept 5th Nov
- Scent Games Monday 6.00pm - 7.00pm 24th Sept 12th Nov
- Training Games Monday 6.00pm - 7.00pm 1st Oct 19th Nov
- Outdoor Life Skills* Saturday 11.00am - 12noon 13th Oct 3rd Nov
- Playtime at the Park* TBC
- Fun Agility Wednesday 6.15pm - 7.45pm Weekly
*Please note due to these sessions being held at external locations, dates & times vary.
Per session - £12.00
One to One Sessions
Ideal for owners who are unable to make any of the scheduled class times, who have a specific training problem which needs intensive help or who would prefer to learn on an individual basis, sessions are tailored to suit the individual needs of dog and owner.
Following an initial pre-training telephone (instigated by the client) to ascertain relevant information about your dogs lifestyle and background, a practical session is then held either at a local park within close proximity to the training and behaviour centre which provides a wide variety of environments for outdoor training or if more appropriate, at our purpose designed facility.
Training problems include:
- Pulling on the lead
- Not coming when called
- General excitability
- Chasing vehicles, joggers or livestock
- Toilet training
A suitable training programme is advised in which owners are set realistic goals to achieve.
One to One Information and Times
An individual session which covers common problems such as walking on a loose lead, coming when called and greeting people without jumping up.
20-minute fact finding telephone call & 45 minute practical session
To book a one to one session please contact the main office on 01642 670404
To ensure the safety of dogs in class and that behaviour problems are not increased, dogs that are not confident and friendly with people or other dogs are not allowed to come to a class. It is very important that dogs who are afraid or who react to other dogs or people do not attend classes. If in doubt whether or not your dog should come to class, please ask.